Monday, June 2, 2008

L. Ingalls Blog-a-thon 1

I wanted to take part in this special blog-a-thon, because I enjoyed Little House on the Prairie so much. I do not have very many quilts. My mom's family did not do quilting unfortunately...but I have a few special ones from others. I also do not know patterns. This quilt is a child's baby doll quilt. A very special lady in my life gave it to me. She is with the Lord now, and I am assuming that this quilt has to be at least 75 years old.
The beautiful quilt is for a double bed. I had it on display in my last home which was country style. A lady in our church 20 years ago bought it at an auction for me. It was over 100 years old then.
This is the only family piece I have. My mother-in-law pieced the points to the star when she was a young girl. She never did anything with them, but gave me the pieces. I had another lady in our church who did quilting make a square blanket from it. It is simply quilted and because my MIL did not really do a lot of quilting it is far from perfect, but a treasure none the less.
So that is my contribution to the Blog this week...you can see more here.
And just a finish....look at this beautiful bloom from some gladiolas. A waitress at Macaroni grill gave them to me!

14 comments:

Alice said...

Your quilts are beautiful! I really enjoyed seeing each one.

Loks said...

Your quilts are beautiful
The first one is a 9 patch quilt called just that, and was the type Laura and Mary were working on in the book. The second one is called The Star of Bethlehem. It past years it was a difficult quilt to make by hand. All the pieces are cut on the bias and therefore stretch when sewn. But machines and modern techniques it is a much more simple quilt to make, but still requires skill. treasure it!

neleh

Decor To Adore said...

Your collection is quite lovely.
My favorite is the one bought at auction. Sigh~

A Hint of Home said...

Very pretty. Where have you been hiding these gems?
Those are interesting details that "my little corner" gave you.

Charlotte said...

I think quilts are so nice. I have one that was made by my grandmother and since I'm 71 you know that is a pretty old quilt. She made it when I was just a child.

Unknown said...

they are all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing and coming by. You are welcome to copying and pasting the cups into your blog.. I think you will have to open up a post like you are doing one and paste the picture there, click html , grab the code then put it into your site, any problems let me know. Take care, mica

Grand Life said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your nice comments. I'm tempted to join the L.Ingalls blog-a-thon also but I'm having a hard time just getting online since we got to the cabin and I'm on a landline once again. I'm off to the library and DSL tomorrow to put in a couple of hours at high speed.
Judy

Pudgeduck said...

Makes me want to pull out my quilt collection! I used to display all mine years ago. still go back to peek at your bedroom-just love it!!!

Betty said...

Beautiful quilts and such heirlooms....Betty

Anonymous said...

They are beauitful. They look like the style of quilting I saw more when I was younger, when people mainly used cotton for batting rather than polyester fiberfill.

crafty diane said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I am so glad you like my quilts. I love the one you have that your mother-in-law pieced. It is so great to a quilt with family history. All I have are some embroidered scarves and pillowcases that my mother did. I will have to make pictures of them and post some of them.
Blessings,
Diane

Vee said...

Oh and more! Love them, especially the one given to you by a dear friend. Wonderful quilting on that one with so much detail.

threesidesofcrazy said...

You have a great collection of quilts!

Sandy said...

Your quilted treasures a wonderful. I love the star your mother-in-law made! You are so blessed to have such a sweet treasure as well as the others you were given as gifts. Thank you for sharing and for participating in the blog-a-thon.

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

Blogging tips