Saturday, June 13, 2009

Saturday Work Day -

or also know as - Oh my goodness, am I tired!!!

I have some dear friends that helped me almost 3 years ago put my "antiques" above my cupboards. So I begged and they graciously agreed to come help me clean up there! Today was the day. I wish I had thought to get a picture of Amy walking on my counter top and kneeling on my refrigerator...but I didn't!

Anyways, we got it done - yes, it does take 3 women to get it like you want it!


I had prepared a box lunch....everything including the drink was in a box tied with raffia...they loved it!
We had turkey cranberry cream cheese mini sandwiches, spinach salad with strawberries and candied walnuts, pickles, olives, fritos, and a lovely chocolate mini cake...all were wrapped in parchement paper or chinese take-0ut boxes...
It really was cute!

I showed these years ago...but I will do again, since they are CLEAN!
old hand mixer, old toaster for camping, lemonade glasses in carrier and an old dried beef box.

Fiesta ware pieces and old scale

metal dish rack, old spice can, my grandma's old mixing bowl with her springerle cookie pin inside, sweet spice box my hubs got me years ago, old masher and bit of old flour can

old coffee cans (and yes, I have 1 key!) marshmellow can, chip can, old cracker can WITHOUT the bars...and that is my baby cup...

These are really hard to see, but it is a milk bottle collection. The little "stand" is a milking stool... in the corner standing is an old pop crate.

A few of my old rolling pins....

My old bowls...they are filled with old cookie cutters

This is a favorite of mine...my grandma's apple cookie jar, one of my mom's cookie cutters and my mom's Betty Crocker cookbook! Do you see the God Bless Our Home sign? My uncle who is now close to 80 made it in school for his mom.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the cupboard display. One was washing, one was taking down and putting up, and I was saying...a little more to the left, yes, yes, no, too much....
Thank you Candy and Amy...I am sure they are planning their get aways for the next time, I get a brillant idea!

15 comments:

Heather said...

sounds like a fun day! i love the box lunches. very cute! you have some great items up there. very cool. love the stories that go with them too.

Ashley ~ said...

Puttin on my white gloves and running my finger across the top of the shelves. YEP*!!! ALL CLEAN*!!! I love all the things you've collected on top, but the sign your uncle made is priceless*!
I hope you are doing well and didn't over do it with all that cleaning*! Thinking of you ~ you're in my prayers*! _Ashley

Nanette said...

That sounds like a lot of work. Glad you had good friends to help, no wonder you are tired though. The display is beautiful!
Valerie

Cottage Rose said...

Ceekay; AWWWW how sweet they were to come and help you out... that is a good way to find out who are true friends are,,, by asking them to climb on our counter tops and clean... lol you have some very lovely things, I enjoyed reading your post and the photos....

now get some rest.... you had a big day....

Hugs;
Alaura

Happy@Home said...

How nice to work together with your friends on a project like that. I'm sure the adorable lunch boxes helped to sweeten the deal. I enjoyed seeing your displays. My favorite is the area with the apple cookie jar and that darling little sign your uncle made.

A Hint of Home said...

Everything looks fresh, clean and cute as can be. I know you're glad it's done. The box lunches are a great idea. They sound yummy!

Sandra said...

It all looks wonderful! I need to clean on top of my fridge *blushing here* :) Have a wonderful Sunday, my friend!
Blessings,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

HI Ceekay! Oh, what a great day you must have had! I love the lunch boxes you prepared for your friends. How nice they came to help you clean.
Every thing looks wonderful. I love your olden things! Wish I had a space like this over my cabinets.

Oh, you're right, the text does run into the borders a little. I'll see what I can do - maybe enlarge the print! I want you to be able to read my text!

Hope you're still feeling well.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Anonymous said...

Ceekay, come back and look at my blog. I made the text bigger and bolder. Does this help? I hope so!

Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

How cute the boxed lunches are, and what wonderful treasures you have on top of your cabinets. May favorite is the God Bless Our Home sign. I noticed it right away and really liked it, but then when you said your uncle had made it in school, I loved it! What a great heirloom! laurie

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Dear Ceekay. What a blessing to have special friends to help you with this project. They certainly are angels!! What a great job of displaying. I love your treasures and the meaning behind so many special items. I too have a rolling pin collection. Love the sign your Uncle made in school for his mom. What a special treasure to have. I love the apple cookie jar too. I have the bowls with the apple from my grandma on display above my cupboards too. Mine needs cleaned now too. You have given me some inspiration to get busy with that.
Love the box lunches you prepared. Everything sounds so yummy. I would love to come and work for a great lunch like that. LOL!

Hope you are feeling good.
Prayers for you sweetie!
Hugs, Celestina Marie

SuzAnne Albright said...

I really enjoyed getting reacquainted through your blog! I had forgotten what a collector you are, but I see you still suffer from shopaholism!

SuzAnne Albright said...

Loved looking at your pics and reading your posts. We'll have to stay in touch!

Diana LaMarre said...

I loved seeing your display. I used to have old tins on top of my cupboards, now I roosters. I know what a job it is to clean! What wonderful friends you have.

Kammy said...

Love your cupboard tops ! I think they are the hardest to decorate - too much, too little....hate it and love it and the same time. I love your collection !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Blogging tips